Many of the authors and maintainers of the resources listed below are willing to work directly with consulting heralds, so if you have additional questions about specific resources, look for a contact link and reach out – it’s likely that you’ll get a positive response.
East Kingdom Resources
- East Kingdom College of Heralds website
- Official Policies of the Brigantia Principal Herald
- East Kingdom Herald University (EKHU)
- East Kingdom Heraldry Email Lists
- Commenting on Letters of Intent by Brunissende Dragonette
- French translation of the name form transl. by Brunissende Dragonette (PDF). For info only – the English version must be used for submissions)
- Intermediate Heraldic Research by Lillia de Vaux (PDF)
- Marie de Blois’ “Chevrons (inverted), Chaussés, Piles, and Chiefs Triangular, Oh My!”
SCA College of Arms (CoA) and Laurel Sovereign of Arms Resources
- Standards for Evaluation of Names and Armory (SENA)
- SCA CoA Admin Handbook
- CoA Glossary, including default postures and proper colorings
- LoAR Archives
- The SCA Ordinary and Armorial
- Heraldry for Non-Heralds, a great basic primer of heraldry as practiced in the SCA
- Heraldry articles on the SCA Heraldry Website
- The Medieval Heraldry Archive
Note that inclusion on these websites does not make artwork automatically registerable. Some charges have been labeled SFCP and some are no longer allowed – so check carefully!
- Book of Traceable Heraldic Art. The Book of Traceable Heraldic Art is a compilation of armorial illustrations intended to facilitate SCA device and badge design.
- Pictorial Dictionary of Heraldry 3.0 (PicDic). Compiled by Bruce Draconarius.
- SVG Graphics for Heralds
- Yehuda’s database of period rolls of arms
- Iago ab Adam’s list of online period armorials
- Gunnvor’s Links to Online Rolls of Arms
- German rolls of arms – search using the term “wappenbuch”
- WappenWiki – a link to online rolls of arms
- A simple guide to summarizing names documentation by Alys Mackyntoich
- Alys’s Simple Guide to Picking and Documenting an SCA Name by Alys Mackyntoich
- SCA Name Articles
The Medieval Names Archive from The Academy of Saint Gabriel
- Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources
- Viking Answer Lady website has a number of resources for Old Norse naming.
- FamilySearch. Requires you to sign up for a free account.
- Please note that not all batches are acceptable, and only Records are acceptable, not genealogical entries. Please review How to Use FamilySearch for more info.
- The Morsulus Search Engine will search through many of the above sites for information on names.
- SENA NPN – Non-Personal Name rules in SENA
- SENA Appendix E – Designators
- Free Company and Fellowship added as designators
- Alys’s Simple Guide to Household Names – this is a draft, work-in-progress, but a great resource
- Collected Household Name resources from LoARs
- Collected Household Designator resources from LoARs
- Norwegian Farm Names (for Scandinavian household names)
Awards and orders
It is strongly encouraged that groups work with their kingdom submissions herald to document their group name, and collect all of the paperwork necessary for such a submission.
- Simple Guide to Naming Awards and Orders by Alys Mackyntoich (very easy read for sharing with non-heralds)
- Simple Order Name Checklist by Alys Mackyntoich
- Names of places, things, and animals – Academy of St. Gabriel
- Administrative Handbook – for information about required paperwork